[thelist] Question about DB connections in ASP

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 08:39:22 CST 2006

> (assuming that connection pooling is enabled for IIS, which I believe it
> is by default); so as long as a connection is available, no new
> connection will be opened. If a connection is not available, a new
> connection will be opened and made available from the connection pool.
> This behaviour is in place to avoid the cost of opening and closing
> database connections.

Correct, opening an ADODB connection does not necessarily mean opening
a real physical connection.

Once upon a time, for a big site I developed, I sniffed the tcp port
of the server to get an idea. 8-10 actual pysical connections were
enough to handle 2-3 thousand online users.

For determining the cost there are benchmark tools that generate load
ramps. Or real-time monitoring tools that you can see what is
happening graphically.

For instance IBM's tivoli performance viewer is a good tool to detect
leaks in connection pool: You plot number of created connections and
number of connections that are returned to the pool on the same graph.
If the two lines cross each other (i.e. they are not parallel) then it
is a indicator of a connection leak.

I have not used any specific benchmark / monitoring tool for M$ stuff.
What I do to load test was generally creating a simple frame-based
setup that refreshed itsef with meta refresh, loading tens of this
framed pages on a pc, and using this to all of the 10-15 pc's on the
network.

Then I monitored CPU utilization, Ram usage. sniffed tcp connections
to the database sitting in front of the server machine.

HTH
--
Volkan Ozcelik
+>Yep! I'm blogging! : http://www.volkanozcelik.com/volkanozcelik/blog/