[thelist] JavaScript/Ajax - responseText and IE question

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 12:51:18 CST 2006

Tom,

On 3/2/06, Tom Dell'Aringa <pixelmech at yahoo.com> wrote:
> response = request.ResponseText;     <-- this is okay
> m = document.getElementById('msg');
> m.innerHTML = response;              <-- this errors out!?!?!
>
> For some reason IE does not like the string of text? I tried toString() with no luck...

Odd.

I'm not sure how to help you, because I avoid innerHTML like the plague.

I'd suggest altering your PHP output by removing the '<p>' and '</p>'
tags, such that it is only outputting the string of text. Then change
your JavaScript to something like this:

response = request.responseText;
if (m && document.createElement) {
    while (m.hasChildNodes()) {
        m.removeChild(m.firstChild);
    }

    var p = document.createElement('p');
    p.appendChild(document.createTextNode(response));
    m.appendChild(p);
}

--
Matt Warden