[thelist] JavaScript/Ajax - responseText and IE question

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 13:24:47 CST 2006

On 3/2/06, EasyListBox.com Peter Brunone <peter at easylistbox.com> wrote:
> I'm curious -- why the aversion to innerHTML?
>
>  From: "Matt Warden" mwarden at gmail.com
>
> I'm not sure how to help you, because I avoid innerHTML like the plague.

A starter:

http://www.google.com/search?q=innerhtml+%28evil+OR+devil%29

But, mainly, my problem is that it ties your entire ajax chain to the
markup you are using. For example, imagine needing to change from
HTML4 to XHTML if your markup is spread between your actual HTML
pages, your JavaScript, and also the server-side of your AJAX
application.

Using DOM methods is not only standard, but it is an abstraction from markup.

It's also more fun.

--
Matt Warden
Miami University