[thelist] HTML Email question

Jacob Reiff jacob at jaacob.com
Fri Mar 3 10:55:01 CST 2006

> Hi All,
>
> I've recently been tasked at work to create a weekly HTML Email to
> our sales force. I've got the templates done and initial testing
> (through Outlook) shows that the CSS styles are not been transferred.
>
> When all is said and done, I'm not really clear on how HTML Email and
> HTML are different. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the
> right direction on a good tutorial or reference on how to create HTML
> Email and what formatting limitations there may be.

Don -

Since there is such a wide variety of email clients out there (with
differing levels of support), the number one rule is to test, test,
test. Most subscribe to the rule that you can only use CSS for
decoration, not positioning in email. Inline CSS is the best way to
ensure it doesn't get stripped out by the client.

One source of info is the css-d wiki:

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=StyleInEmail

Also, this ALA article has some good information on the limitations
you should place on how you code:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/cssemail/

--
Jacob