[thelist] 40 Seconds

Max Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Tue Mar 7 23:51:53 CST 2006

Rob Smith wrote:
> Error Type:
> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E31)
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired
> /...filepath.../MyPage.asp, line 34
>
> Line 34 is the rs.open command on a query. This query takes longer than
> 40 seconds to analyze the data at hand. I've set the ASP script timeout
> on the server to 180 seconds. What else can I do to lengthen the time
> before a time out event occurs?

A shot in the dark since no one else more qualified is responding:
sounds like it's an ado connection timeout rather than script execution
timeout.  A quick search yields an MSDN article on the ConnectionTimeout
property[0] as well as one on CommandTimeout[1].  Also found a similar
thread on wrox[2].  It's been quite a while since I last played with
ASP, so please pardon me if this reply is off-base!  :)
[0]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/mdproconnectiontimeout.asp
[1]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/mdprocommandtimeout.asp