[thelist] Database Naming Conventions

Ken Moore psm2713 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 15 15:05:09 CST 2006

Hi all,

Joel Canfield wrote

> >From Joe Celko's "Ten Things I Hate About You"
>
>"What you are doing is trying to expose the physical storage choices in
>your logical data model all over again. And you are making your code
>hard to read.

As a database programmer for 20+ years, I agree. The conventions I follow
are these. Tables are named in the singular and fields contain with a table
reference.

Tables: Employee, Customer

Fields: emplFName, emplLName, custFName, custLName

It works for me because every variable is unique and it helps me to avoid
getting confused..

Ken