[thelist] Enabling podcast on IIS?

Matthew Bernhardt bernhardt.7 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 16 07:28:33 CST 2006

Hello all,
   One of the faculty members here wants to post a podcast for her students
to access, and I'm running into a problem with it. She's uploaded an .m4b
file of the podcast to her site, created the link to the file on her site,
and everything seems like it's valid. The problem is that the server is
returning a 404 error when anyone tries to access the .m4b file.
   It seems like the server is refusing to serve the file, presumably
because it doesn't know what an .m4b file is? If I change the file
extension to .htm or .zip, the server happily serves the file (of course,
by that point it's gibberish).
   The server is Windows Server 2003 (so IIS 6, I think?) with all service
packs and whatnot applied. The .m4b file itself is valid. I thought I
remembered how to make IIS recognize a file extension, but apparently I've
forgotten. Any suggestions? Do I need some 3rd party software to
accomplish this? I'm going to suggest she provide a .zip archive of the
.m4b file in the meantime, but I'm hoping to allow the students to access
the .m4b file directly.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Bernhardt, bernhardt.7 at osu.edu