[thelist] Providing hosting for website but sending email to Yahoo! account

jason.handby jason.handby at corestar.co.uk
Fri Mar 17 04:09:31 CST 2006

> You have to look for the MX record and change it to:
>
> domain.com.    IN    MX   10	mx1.mail.yahoo.com
>
> This will send all the mail for your domain to Yahoo.

I don't think this approach will work, I'm afraid...

Your current forwarding setup is effectively turning an email addressed
to department at domain.com into an email addressed to client at yahoo.com at
the point when it gets forwarded. So when it arrives at yahoo the server
there will accept it (as it's addressed to yahoo.com) and deliver it to
the account called "client".

If you change the client's MX record to point directly to yahoo, mail
will only be accepted there if the yahoo mail server knows that it is
supposed to accept mail for domain.com , and knows which yahoo mail
account to give the mail to. It's unlikely that you will persuade yahoo
to set up either of those things :-)

Jason