[thelist] math help...

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) peter at easylistbox.com
Fri Mar 17 12:19:42 CST 2006

From: Brian Cummiskey <Brian at hondaswap.com>

> They need to be random, as they are given to sales reps as their
> commission ID. If they learn that its just the next number in order,
> there could be some cheating.

What if you just create a "code pool" table with 35,000 combinations, and generate a random number to pick one?  When you pick it, remove it from the table.  No duplicates, and no noticeable sequential order.

Of course you could just do the codes sequentially, but store the *hash* of the code... give 'em the hash and I would bet they wouldn't be able to guess the next one.

Just some wacky thoughts on a bored Friday...

Peter