[thelist] clear form code

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Mon Mar 20 09:57:21 CST 2006

M. Seyon wrote:

> You asked for a valid reason for using the Reset button, and I
> provided one - resetting radio buttons that do not have either a
> default state, or a "none selected" option.

Sorry the tone of my reply was so argumentative - I shouldn't have made
it sound as though I was dismissing your views, just because I don't
share them. Thanks for the other example too.

> But it is also bad interface design to dismiss an available control
> (the reset button) because some guy says he thinks it's destructive
> to usability without considering its relevance in your specific
> situation.

Well, I held my belief that the reset button is a mistake 99% of the
time long before I read that Joe Clark thought so too. He's not just
"some guy", of course, and since he's a damn sight more famous than me,
it seemed more appropriate to say that I agreed with him rather than
that he agreed with me!

> That said, do you know what Bruce Gilbert's situation is, or why he
> wants to use a reset button?

You are quite right. I was assuming without good cause that the OP's
case is a normal web form, since it's the general case that I am most
interested in.

Cheers

Ian

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets & links
http://snippetz.net