[thelist] clear form code

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Mon Mar 20 15:00:52 CST 2006

Luther, Ron wrote:
> Sorry.  Not allowed.  This is my contrived example.
> The athletic department is the client here, not the end user.
> This A.D. says "No fence sitters. Force a choice."
>
> Radio buttons with no default?

No.

Radio buttons *must* have one option selected
from the group.  Like buttons on the old car radio.

In this case you use a select box.  Option 1 is
"Choose:" -> no-value.

You trap the no-answer with form handling. You
*don't* misuse an HTML element and then compound your
error by hacking some nasty JS nonsense over the
top to get "clear form" and fix a problem which you
wouldn't have in the first place if you did it
right.

Honestly.  This isn't something we discuss.  There's
a clear right and wrong answer here and having an
no radio buttons selected is the *wrong* answer.

John Handelaar

E  john at handelaar.org    T +353 21 427 9033
M  +353 85 748 3790    http://handelaar.org