[thelist] pricing blobs-o-bits

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Mon Mar 20 21:30:55 CST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 16:08 +1100, Robert Gormley wrote:
> Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> > If you need support, by all means, buy it. Adobe doesn't refund any of
> > that $1200 if you never need the support hotline, do they?
>
> Does Ford refund any money if you never make a warranty claim? Can you
> buy your new car sans warranty?

We're talking software, not cars; implied warranties of merchantability
and fitness mean completely different things, and usually do not exist
as such for shrinkwrapped binary-only box-off-the-shelf software.
(Actually, come to think of it, they usually don't exist for free
software either, but there is a different reason, and one which actually
makes sense.)

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>