[thelist] pricing blobs-o-bits

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Mar 20 22:14:09 CST 2006

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Shawn K. Quinn
: Subject: Re: [thelist] pricing blobs-o-bits
:
: On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 16:08 +1100, Robert Gormley wrote:
: > Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
: > > If you need support, by all means, buy it. Adobe doesn't refund any of
: > > that $1200 if you never need the support hotline, do they?
: >
: > Does Ford refund any money if you never make a warranty claim? Can you
: > buy your new car sans warranty?
:
: We're talking software, not cars; implied warranties of merchantability
: and fitness mean completely different things, and usually do not exist
: as such for shrinkwrapped binary-only box-off-the-shelf software.

I don't believe Robert was talking about statutory or common law warranties,
but explicit warranties offered by the vendor. Does Ford refund you any money
if you don't make a warranty claim? I doubt it. Can you buy a Ford without
their explicit warranty? I doubt that too.

Cheers
Ken