[thelist] Can I develop .NET 1.1 with VS '05?

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) peter at easylistbox.com
Tue Mar 21 11:47:39 CST 2006

*ahem*  Actually, Peter Brunone didn't write that :)  The original poster did.

And you're right; Classic ASP is on the way out, support-wise.  I'm at a major insurance company right now and they're setting target dates to have all their sites converted to ASP.NET instead.  I'm just missing all sorts of important points today...

Of course with this client, it sounds like support from Microsoft might not be a problem -- then again, they're using the .NET 2.0 toolset (and supporting 1.1?) so who the heck knows...

Peter

 From: "James Conley" Conleyj at kubota-kma.com

wrote:
>We needed to get it done, and we knew classic ASP would work on their
IIS server.

AFAIK Classic ASP is no longer a recommended development platform from
Microsoft. By default when you install IIS on Windows 2003 Classic ASP
is disabled. I would think that at some point in the not-too-distant
future that in-house IT departments are going to want to stop hosting
Classic ASP as they upgrade their servers to 2003 and beyond.

Converting you app up to .Net 1.1 or 2.0 would hopefully and ideally be
a relatively painless process and puts you firmly onto a platform that
is supported by Microsoft for many years to come.

James c.