[thelist] Web Character Sets

kasimir-k evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Tue Mar 21 17:29:05 CST 2006

Joshua Hmielowski scribeva in 21/03/2006 17:13:
> What steps do I need to take to have the  ability to change
> not only the language but to change the char set that is being used?

If you use UTF-8, you don't need to change the char set at all.

> -What is required for a web page to display a different character set?

The page doesn't display it, the borwser displays it according to what
the page (or server) tells it.

> -When updating these characters to a web page, does your computer
> need to have that language as the default for that program?

no.

> -What "meta /content-type" supports each of these characters?  or
> does every language have it's own content-type charset to be
> specified on each html page?

It's about my bed time, so instead of a lengthy reply I just point you to:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars/index.html
and especially the first article:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html

.k