[thelist] weather on our intranet

Pringle, Ron RPringle at aurora-il.org
Wed Mar 22 11:04:31 CST 2006

Joel wrote:

> I'd like to add some kind of weather information to our intranet. Even
> just temperature info (current and forecast) would be useful to folks,
> especially in the summer.
>
> Yup, that's the extent of what I know.
>
> Suggestions of where to look for methodology, data, best
> practices, free
> thinking 'waddya think' commentary?

Joel-

Assuming you're US based, take a peek at the National Weather Service's
XML feeds. You can hook directly into their xml or grab it and hook into
it locally.

This page is a good starter for info and the various feeds.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/alerts/

I've been playing with this for our municipal website, but still need to
implement a scheduled FTP service to grab the XML file once an hour so
as not to overload the NWS site.

HTH

Ron