[thelist] Displaying RSS Feeds on my site

michael ensor edc at wnc.quik.co.nz
Wed Mar 22 11:19:56 CST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Points"
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 4:53 AM
Subject: [thelist] Displaying RSS Feeds on my site

: Hi,
: I've found a bunch of information on how to create and read RSS feeds
: but I haven't found anything on inserting them into html documents.  It
: is my understanding that you can take any RSS feed and have it render in
: an html document.  I could be making this up, I don't know.
:
: Can someone tell me if 1) this is possible and 2) if so how can I set it up?

1. Yes, javascript or php or xml

2. http://www.webreference.com/authoring/languages/xml/rss/intro/index.html

I use a php "back" office script which uses the inbuilt xml parser and simply
include the output in the web pages.

Couple of minor gotchas:
- caching is required for some feeds
- character encoding, use UTF-8 in the output pages but had to add a few
regex's to parse some html entities not covered by PHP - xml parser