[thelist] weather on our intranet

kasimir-k evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Wed Mar 22 11:48:10 CST 2006

Canfield, Joel scribeva in 22/03/2006 17:15:
>> Get the weather info as XML from Yahoo:
>> http://xml.weather.yahoo.com/forecastrss?p=USCA0957&u=f
>
> yeah, that's a good start
>
> what next?
>
> I can see this opens an XML page in my browser. Any pointers on how to
> turn this into something meaningful to non-geeks on our intranet?
>
> Start basic. Assume I don't know what I'm doing with this. Because I
> don't.

:-)

There's many ways to use this data. I'll leave any XSLT routes for
others to explain, as I don't know that field myself so well.

But to the basics then. I'd just take the data I want from the XML on
the server side and display it to my liking. How this exactly happens
depends on what language you can use on the server, but either you parse
the xml somehow or do it the quick and dirty way and use regular
expressions to get the juicy bits out of
day="Wed" date="22 Mar 2006" low="41" high="62" text="Mostly Cloudy"

.k