[thelist] (asp.net) application variables

Robert Vreeland vreeland at studioframework.com
Wed Mar 22 20:11:31 CST 2006

Opps, sorry I was in a rush, I just copied and pasted the code.
'sqlConnectionString' is set in the web.config file and is a variable local
to the app; so you would use whichever variable you were looking for. More
specifically, we had a similar problem of accessing application variables
hard coded in config files. For better or worst, we only store the initial
database connection string in the web.config file, the rest are pulled from
the backend database and brought into memory via a loop. Here is the code
for that
while(reader.Read())
				{

Application[reader["AppVarName"].ToString()] =
reader["AppVarValue"].ToString();
				}
				reader.Close();

With the value of AppVarName being the variable name and the value of
AppVarValue, well, the value :). These application variables we can then
access through the familiar (again in c#):
Application["some_variable_name"]

Hope that clears up my previous post.

Robert