[thelist] Virtual private server hosts

Max Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Fri Mar 24 01:22:51 CST 2006

Michael Slater wrote:
> I'm planning to move my site (www.BoatingSF.com) from a shared hosting plan
> to a virtual private server, and I'd appreciate any recommendations for
> particular hosts.

We've been using ServInt for about a year now, and as defacto sysadmin I
couldn't be happier.  In the course of the year, they've decreased
prices yet increased storage and backup capacity, moved from
single-drives to RAID 10, and added additional offerings for scaling up,
which they can do without any downtime.  They have very knowledgeable
staff in the NOC 24/7 (they answer phone and email quickly 24/7), and
they've been in business for about a decade, which is a long time for
the hosting industry.  Geez, don't mean to gush, it's just such an
improvement over the lack of service we got with the likes of ev1 and
serverbeach (which weren't VPS, but were otherwise similar).

> As a meta-question, is anyone aware of a site that does credible reviews of
> hosts that aren't in fact disguised marketing?

I'm not, but most hosts offering VPS have support forums.  You might
surf those a bit to get a feel for things, look for complaints and the
quality of the answers that the staff post.

--
Max Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/