[thelist] valid character entities for XML [SOLVED]

Pringle, Ron RPringle at aurora-il.org
Fri Mar 24 11:57:13 CST 2006

> I use TinyMCE in a custom built CMS. By default it converts '
> (right single quotes, aka apostrophes) to ’
>
> Recently I've been working on adding the ability to generate
> a valid xml rss 2.0 feed from this same content.
>
> Entities like ’ don't validate and break the feed,
> whereas entities like ’ do validate.
>
> Is anyone familiar enough with TinyMCE to know whether this
> behavior can be changed, and if so, point me in the right direction?
>
> Or, are there other similar editors like TinyMCE that will
> output valid strict XHTML?
>
> Ron

For those who care, I resolved this. TinyMCE has a setting you can call
when you initialize it that will allow you to use either numeric or
named entities.

Another user wrote some code to do strict XHTML comparisons as well, so
TinyMCE can be made to output strict XHTML, including character
entities.

I don't know if any other editors can do this or not, but +1 for TinyMCE
on that, at least.

Regards,
Ron