[thelist] Domain registration FUBAR

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Wed Mar 29 21:55:50 CST 2006

Message from Flavia Tarzwell (FayeC) (3/29/2006 05:28 PM)

>Both registered the domains in their own names instead of the companies
>they were registering the domain for.
>Is this legal?
>I mean....if the domain is paid by the client shouldn't the domain be
>registered in the client's name??

Short answer - Yes.

The web professional SHOULD either register the domain in the owner's name
or provide the owner with a written notice of the terms of registration.
But there's no legal obligation for them to do this. Really it's the
client's responsibility to know what they are paying for.

>Not only that but since he is not replying to any contact attempted the
>domain is also
>locked and they have no copy of the site.

May take some doing, but I believe it is possible to have a registration
declared void if the WHOIS info on the registrant and/or administrative
contact is invalid or not responding.

Do some research in the registrar's, and ICANN's terms of service.

Good luck.

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/