[thelist] Script for M$IE only, or not

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Mon Apr 3 13:31:30 CDT 2006

On 06/04/03 12:09 Christian Heilmann apparently typed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> FWIW, the URL in my .sig below is the page for which I asked. Opening it
>> with IE should make evident why I only want the event to occur if the
>> visitor is really using IE and not some impostor like Opera.

> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/js/iebad.js is soo 1990ies. What about users
> who cannot change their browser as their company dictates the IT
> environment? A practice like this is as arrogant and obtrusive as a
> "only for MSIE and 1024x768 resolution" message.

Obtrusive, no doubt. Arrogant, maybe. Might depend on who is expected to
see it and when. At least for now, it's only called by one page. Did you
even consider my last paragraph? In particular: "particularly if you
have ideas about who you think the target audience for the page is."

It's not intended for the general web population, but rather, a subset
that includes almost entirely site designers and reviewers, particularly
n00bs who design first or exclusively in IE instead of a
standards-compliant browser.

I thought about including a similar message on an about this site page,
but I really don't think making it easily accessible to those to whom it
isn't relevant is a better option.
--
"Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but
rather expose them."			Ephesians 5:11 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/auth