[thelist] client to post video

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Mon Apr 3 15:01:27 CDT 2006

Richard Bennett wrote:
> Firstly, Flash IS proprietary software that you are requiring.

??  Is that some type of reasoning, or just an excuse for an existing
prejudice, or...?

 > I don't know how they find 95% Flash 7 players on a survey... or
 > 89% Java penetration in the same survey - that's plain crazy.

Sorry, our bad, I don't see the methodology links on this front page
anymore:
http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/flashplayer/

I've sent out a change-request to get the "who" and the "how" of these
ongoing consumer audits more visible on those entry pages:
http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/npd/
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/survey/npd_survey/

Recap: Every three months for the last 7-8 years, NPD/MediaMetrix asks
members of their regular consumer focus groups "Can you see this page?
this page? how about this page? don't download anything new, but can you
see this now? how about this?" and so on.

Content from Flash Player 7 was viewable by about 95% of consumers
tested in December, not 97%, but that's still more than IE/Win or likely
"any modern browser". The truly startling stat in all this was that
Flash Player 8, with advanced graphics capabilities, was found on 50% of
consumer machines within three months of its release.

If you'll allow me to transgress the bounds of good taste for a moment:
HALF THE WEB HAD ITS CLIENTSIDE CAPABILITIES UPDATED IN ONLY THREE
MONTHS, OMFG THIS IS IMMENSE, IT BLOWS OUT ALL THIS TALK ABOUT AJAX AND
XAML AND WHATEVER WEB2.0 TOPIC DU JOUR IS ON THE BOARDS, HALF THE
INTERNET UPGRADED IN ONLY THREE MONTHS, WHAT ARE YOU BOTHERING WITH
GREASEMONKEY-SIZED AUDIENCES FOR? and so on.

Bottom line: Want to use video in a browser-based presentation? Use
Flash... makes the most sense.
    (Yes, .MPG files work too, but you don't know how each audience
member will view it... some will call up a new page with QuickTime, some
will jump the visitor out to Windows Media Player, whatever. With Flash,
video is just another first-class citizen in the HTML content.)

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd