[thelist] Getting screenshots to look good in Word (and then PDF)

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Mon Apr 3 19:29:26 CDT 2006

John Dowdell wrote:

> I don't know of any real way to prettify printed screencaptures, at
> least not without adding a lot more data to the file... if the screen
> has 1024 dots by 768 dots, and you're going to a printer with 300 or
> more dots per inch, then the result will tend to look blocky even if the
> pixels aren't averaged together at all. But print-res images are large,
> regardless... there's a hard choice to be made between compact files and
> interpolating extra pixels into a screencap in case it's printed. Hard
> either way.

In my experience, you can still get good looking screen shots on desktop
laser printers even given the disparity of resolutions. The key is to
send all the original dots, irrespective of the physical resolution of
the screenshot, and don't allow interpolation or resampling to take
place before the printer gets the image. Sometimes it is not easy to
stop Acrobat from resampling images.

Cheers

Ian

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets & links
http://snippetz.net