[thelist] Out with tradition? GET or POST

kasimir-k evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Tue Apr 4 13:58:49 CDT 2006

Jay Blanchard scribeva in 04/04/2006 18:31:
> I thought this to be unusual;

Actually it's just a difference between HTML and XHTML specs.

> Below are the results of checking this document for XML well-formedness
> and validity.
>
> Error Line 15 column 29: value of attribute "method" cannot be "POST";
> must be one of "get", "post".
> <form action="#" method="POST">

"XHTML documents must use lower case for all HTML element and attribute
names. This difference is necessary because XML is case-sensitive e.g.
<li> and <LI> are different tags."[0]

> For years we have been told that the method must be in all caps, even
> though we all found that not to be the case; our forms would act as we
> wished.

"This attribute specifies which HTTP method will be used to submit the
form data set. Possible (case-insensitive) values are "get" (the
default) and "post"."[1]

.k

[0]http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.2
[1]http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#adef-method