[thelist] Hosting :http://www.theplanet.com/

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Wed Apr 5 13:15:49 CDT 2006

Hi Lisa!

Birdie <bird at koolfish.com> wrote:
> Has anyone got any good or bad things to say about the hosting at
> http://www.theplanet.com/ particularly about the dedicated servers
> and the response of technical support.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lisa

www.Evolt.org has been hosted at ServerMatrix.com, which is a
product/division of ThePlanet.com (their low-end service, I believe :-))
for about a year now along with, of course, this mailing list :-)

I can't say anything helpful about their support response time, as I've
never needed to open a support ticket.  Downtime has been all but
nonexistent.  There've been a few scheduled network maintenance periods
of a bout 2-4 hours in the middle of the night (US night, that is...).
Network performance has been excellent: great bandwidth, low latency.

My only negative experience with them was an $10/month price hike that
came with only about a month's notice.  Evolt runs on their bargain
basement dedicated server and, due to us getting in on a special they
were running at the time (back when they *had* specials -- lately their
specials are, well, not so special...) and a 6-month prepayment discount
(which is also no longer advertised, but you should ask a sales rep) we
only paid $59 per month originally.

I was really aggravated when they bumped that up to $69 so suddenly, but
it's still a helluva good deal!  It's essentially the same hardware and
service for which they're charging um... $199/month -- at the moment.

Best compliment I can give to a hosting provider: it "just works"!

-dave