[thelist] Date & time formatting

Max Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Mon Apr 17 11:11:55 CDT 2006

Santilal Parbhu wrote:
> I have tries this but I can't make it accept the input format
> dd/m/y.  This is the code I am using to store the date.
> $year = '/06';
> 		$entered_date = "{$HTTP_POST_VARS['matchdate']}";
> 		$ddate = $entered_date . $year;
> 		$ddate = strtotime("$ddate");
> 		print"$ddate";
> You can see that actually I am inputing the format dd/mm.
> The year is concatenated onto the end of the date.  I am
> posting the date to mysql via a form.

Ah, strtotime() has its limitations!  The format you originally supplied
would work fine, but the dd/m format won't work.  If you're enforcing that
format, you might simply do:
$dateParts = explode('/',$entered_date);
$ddate = strtotime($dateParts[1].'/'.$dateParts[0].'/'.$year);

Again, store the result as a unix timestamp in MySQL.  Makes date-time
operations a lot easier down the road.

--
Max Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/