[thelist] What would you like to see in a resource site?

Steven Streight steven.streight at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 14:18:12 CDT 2006

A link to Krugle, once it's out of beta. That's the programmer's search
engine.

You could also consider a custom search engine, like Swicki or Rollyo (I
have a Swicki on my web usability blog, Vaspers the Grate).

You can program or "train" the Swicki custom search engine to search
primarily certain sites you consider authoritative, which makes it far
better than Google, IMHO. And you can "promote" certain links, raise them
higher, or lower, or delete, from the search results page.

A link to a banking site that your boss feels is exemplary, a role model,
etc.

Plus links to Web 2.0 information and inspiration.

I concur that your boss has given you a virtually impossible task. But
rather than ask what he might suggest, it seems he wants you to show
initiative. This may be a trick, a test. Perhaps if you *don't* ask for more
info, that in itself means you are not wise???

So what I suggest is you nail together as much as you can, and say:
something in this general direction?

Maybe your boss doesn't know what the hell he needs or is even talking
about.

So have pity, and give him something reasonably intelligent, that he can
respond to.

Be sure to incorporate usablilty and accessibility characteristics. Do a
user observation test on a group of 5 to 10 employees. Watch them use the
new intranet. Don't just expect to get honest feedback. Actually watch them
use it, at various points in the dev process.