[thelist] CSS class and ID - which to use?

Spencer Lindsay spence at spencerlindsay.com
Wed Apr 19 15:56:30 CDT 2006

Hi All,

Not one for lurking, I'll fire one off right away before checking the
water...

Gods... I'm hitting a wall here....

My client wants me to have this ready for prime time asap and I'm
starting to sweat.

Here's the deal:

http://www.lindsaydigital.com/clients/krugle/testSite/index.html

http://www.lindsaydigital.com/clients/krugle/testSite/css/krugle.css

In reading the csszengarden book, looking on alistapart and general
sleuthing, I've found that everyone says stay away from lots of <div>
tags, but csszengarden and all the cool css sites I've looked at are
using TONS of <div> tags..

I set this page up with four <div> tags:

#header {

background:url(../images/kruglePageHeader.gif) no-repeat;

width: 725px;

margin-top:5px;

margin-bottom:10px;

height:95px;

}

#leftContent {

float: left;

width: 500px;

padding:0px 0px;

margin:0px;

background:url(../images/leftText.gif) repeat-y center;

}

#rightContent {

float: left;

width: 200px;

padding:0px 0px;

margin:0px;

background:url(../images/rightText.gif) repeat-y center;

}

#footer {

clear: both;

}

I've used the <h1> and <h2> tags with background images to create the
tops of the the boxes, laid a background into the left and right <div>s
and then put a background image justified bottom left behind the .text
class.

This works fine until you need to place something that doesn't fit
text class to the <ul> or <form>, it just blows up anyway.

My head is in the loving embrace of a fifty pound, stainless steel bench
vise and someone just turned on the grinding wheel....

Any help?

Spence.

(hoping this was sent plain-text)