[thelist] FAQ Questions

Steven Streight steven.streight at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 23:32:24 CDT 2006

Jay: It's really weird. When I looked at that FAQ page in Firefox, prior to
allowing Javascript at Pocket dot com, I saw the questions and the answers
displayed. But when I allowed Pocket dot com, the answers disappeared and
the questions now displayed as hypertext links.

I think the writing is pretty good, although there is a spurious "a" in one
of the last FAQ answers. There is also a "Yes. It depends on..." that
sounded a bit funny, sort of contradictory.

I suggest that a bulleted list is better than a string of comma separated
items in one sentence. Easier for users to hurriedly scan.

But overall, the text is pretty good. It's trying to be friendly and casual,
but I could suggest a few revisions here and there.

What was a bit disconcerting was the way the text of the answer floated up
to the top as I clicked on the questions. I have not seen that before, and
while I like innovation, this was a bit strange. Not saying it's bad, it's
just unexpected. I don't want to be unduly critical, nor do I want to stifle
invention. At least, it got my attention. Is it distracting? Is it
productive? Does it aid the user in information foraging? It is cool, I can
at least say that. Yet, unsettling too.

;^)

On 4/20/06, Steven Streight <steven.streight at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/20/06, Steven Streight wrote:
>
> Jay: I cannot visit this page, since it has Restricted Access, with
> > password requirement.
>

> On 4/20/06, Jay Blanchard <jblanchard at pocket.com> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > > ...all kinds of stuff about a suit who doesn't know his arse from an
> > > FAQ....
> > > [/snip]
> > >
> > > http://www.pocket.com/foo/faqCOOL.php
> > > (pockettest, pockettest)
> > >
> > [/snip]
> >
> > See words in parentheses under the URL?
> > --
>

> Yes I do see them. I'll try again to visit the page.
>
> ;^)

Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate
Web Usability. IT. Social Media. Ecommerce.

http://www.vaspersthegrate.blogspot.com

http://techrepublic.com.com/5247-6257-0.html

http://blog-revolution-search-engine-swicki.eurekster.com

SKYPE: vaspersthegrate