[thelist] StatCounter to mine more detail

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Sun Apr 23 00:56:53 CDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 08:29 +0300, VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK wrote:
> Another option,
>
> Do not use counters at all.
>
> 1. They make the site look amaeteurish (most of the time).
> 2. They can be easily faked (by auto refreshing and IFRAME for instance).

3. Counters often count only a subset of hits, typically only hits from
browsers which download the image or browsers with Javascript enabled.
Some proxies block counter images/scripts as junk traffic.

If one simply needs to count all hits to a site, I recommend something
like 'cat access.log | wc -l' with any necessary grep, awk, or perl
commands in the middle to extract the appropriate information.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>