[thelist] Browser support, drawing a pragmatic line in the sand.

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Mon May 1 10:29:56 CDT 2006

Matt Warden wrote:

> My point is simply that we seem to continue to think in terms of
> browsers instead of the people behind those browsers. IE5 isn't buying
> your client's products.

I code standards, the browsers don't always correctly support those
browsers, so this is about the *extra* work required to test and fix
bugs caused by a particular "design".

(I tend to work for designers, not the end client)

I understand your point perfectly, and fully support it, what I want
to be able to do is say:

* for price 'x' I will do the necessary work and testing and guarantee
  (almost) identical rendering in all the Green Browsers.

* support for Amber browsers is not guaranteed, but they "should" work.

* support for Red browsers is not included in price 'x'

* promotion of a browser from amber to green will cost 'y'

* promotion of a browser from red to green will cost 'z'

my objective is to overcome the problems with a fixed price project
where the client reveals that some VIP uses IE5 on Mac, but originally
said it didn't matter.

It's trying to define the point of diminishing returns for the client.

;o)