[thelist] Browser support, drawing a pragmatic line in the sand.

Chris at globet.com Chris at globet.com
Mon May 1 11:02:05 CDT 2006

Tony

> Matt Warden wrote:
>
> > My point is simply that we seem to continue to think in terms of
> > browsers instead of the people behind those browsers. IE5
> isn't buying
> > your client's products.

[..]

> I want to be able to do is say:
>
> * for price 'x' I will do the necessary work and testing and guarantee
>   (almost) identical rendering in all the Green Browsers.

I would personally be very wary of offering such assurances - the user
has ultimate control of how the browser renders the page.

> * support for Amber browsers is not guaranteed, but they
> "should" work.
>
> * support for Red browsers is not included in price 'x'
>
> * promotion of a browser from amber to green will cost 'y'
>
> * promotion of a browser from red to green will cost 'z'

I would personally deal with this while you are negotiating a statement
of requirements with the client. The client tells me which browsers they
want supported, I calculate the time it will take me to produce the
required code for the required browsers, I can then multiply the hours
by my hourly rate and deliver the quote. The amount of time it will take
me to accommodate a fixed list of browsers will depend on the graphic
design, which is one reason I would personally not supply a "rate card"
for such things.

> my objective is to overcome the problems with a fixed price
> project where the client reveals that some VIP uses IE5 on
> Mac, but originally said it didn't matter.

If the client required no support for IE5 Mac, then they require no
support for IE5 Mac. A clear project specification should take care of
problems like this - if they want you to quote on adding support for IE5
Mac at a later date, then time permitting I would assume that you would
be happy to do so.

[..]

Just a few thoughts, in case they're of any use :)

--
Chris Marsh
Web Developer
e: chris at globet.com
w: http://www.globet.com/

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not
necessarily the Company. This message is intended for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information that is confidential and privileged and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not
If you have received this communication in error, please contact the
sender immediately and delete it from your system.