[thelist] DB Schema Design

Mattias Thorslund mattias at thorslund.us
Mon May 8 11:42:34 CDT 2006

Ian Anderson wrote:
>>> And the values in this table would then need to define which table in
>>> the database the associated statuses belong to:
>>>
>> Why? As far as I can tell, there's no reason to do this.
>>

> It's called "Being hit by a bus".
>
> If the developer ain't around no more for any reason, I'd like there to
> be an explicit notation of which table these puppies belong to, and not
> just in a ring binder on some shelf with three thousand other pieces of
> paper, neither.

Ah, but that would be in the source code of the classes that use those
lists. With an automatic documentation generator, such as JavaDoc or
PHPDocumentor, that wouldn't need to be hidden in the source either but
incorporated in your documentation manual - next to your auto-generated
database schema if you want.

Mattias