[thelist] Navigation inspiration needed

Stuart Young drstuey at gmail.com
Mon May 8 21:22:13 CDT 2006

On 09/05/06, Richard Brown <rich at cregy.co.uk> wrote:

> Having spent a lot of time experimenting I have ended up with this:
> <http://www.weddingcompanycornwall.co.uk/>
>
> Comments would be welcome.

I don't think the downwards pointing tabs work. Loses the tab metaphor.

When there is no content underneath the selected upper tab, (e.g. Mens hire
or Mother of the Bride) there is a line underneath it. This also loses the
tab metaphor. A tab is supposed to be joined onto the page (or if the page
is the wrong colour to a coloured bar underneath the tabs) and having a
border between them means they are not "joined on".

Have you seen the Yahoo design pattern library?
http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns/

in particular
http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns/pattern_navigationtabs.php
"Never stack multiple rows of tabs as this leads to confusion about the
selected layer versus inactive layer."

cheers

--
This is the gmail account of Stuart Young
Pt Chev, Auckland, Aotearoa New Zealand