[thelist] [TIP] - Use UTF-8 whenever possible, or get used to extra doses of caffeine.

T. R. Valentine trvalentine at gmail.com
Thu May 11 06:22:17 CDT 2006

On 11/05/06, Info at internetvraagbaak.nl <info at internetvraagbaak.nl> wrote:

> Still in global searchengines we can hardly get particular information when
> you cannot write cyrillic for instance...
> Also one of the reasons why i am not in favour of domainnames with special
> characters in it....
>
> correct me when i am wrong;

I'm not sure if Jeroen really means 'special characters' (e.g. @, #,
$, %, ^, etc.) or non-Roman characters such as those found in Chinese,
Cyrillic, Greek, and even Latin characters that don't appear on an
American-style keyboard.

If the former, then I quite agree. But if the latter, I do not
understand the objection.

Why should not people who have keyboards that enter characters with
which they are quite comfortable from a language with which they are
comfortable be able to enter those characters to access a URI? What is
wrong with these potential domains?
   www.özçelik.com
   www.περιχώρησις.com
   www.православная.com

Must the Internet be American-centred?

--
T. R. Valentine
Use a decent browser: Safari, Firefox, Mozilla, Opera