[thelist] [TIP] - Use UTF-8 whenever possible, or get used to extra doses of caffeine.

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Thu May 11 15:07:41 CDT 2006

Judah McAuley noted:

>>If I were running into this situation, I'd look at enterprise level search solutions
>>like Verity. It looks like Verity got bought out by Autonomy and their K2 server is
>>now called IDOL K2. I know that K2 is multilingual and stores all its internal information
>>in UTF-8 format.

Hi Judah,

Thanks for the heads up.  I may look at that or try to point people in that direction.

>>For pure SQL hacks, I know that with full text searches in MS SQL Server, you can specify an
>>accent insensitve search, so "cafe" and "café" would be matches if you searched for either one.

AHHH!  Very Neat.  Thanks Judah!  I hadn't heard of 'accent insensitive' searches before.
Waaay Cool!  I will definitely read up on those!

[I believe it's gonna be Nonstop SQL/MX running on a _very_ big box.  (Eating your own
dogfood and like that.)]

>>When you get into completely different languages though, "rojo" and "red", for instance,
>>you'll need something more than SQL I think.

What?! ... I can't just set the 'language insensitive' flag?   ;-P

Thanks for the tips!

RonL.