[thelist] Search Function on Website

Jeffrey Joslin lists at joslins.net
Wed May 17 23:09:06 CDT 2006

Jono wrote:
>> Surely if you want decent search functionality these days you buy a 3rd party
>> product that supports stemming (and other lexicography terms I don't even
>> know), so that searches for "swim" would also returns pages that have "swum",
>> but would possibly return "swan" but at a much lower rating. Simply matching,
>> or catering for "mis-spellings" via simple algorithms is surely so "1990s"
>> search technology?
>>
>> Cheers
>
> Anyone recommend a 3rd party search that is reasonable priced with the
> features mentioned above?  Preferably PHP based and customizable with out
> programming experience.

Have you looked at the open-source Xapian search libraries?

http://www.xapian.org

Specific features:
(quite flexible and fast)
http://www.xapian.org/features.php

Other relevant schpeel (from their home page):
"If you're after a packaged search engine for your website, you should
take a look at Omega, which is an application we supply built upon
Xapian. But unlike most other website search solutions, Xapian's
versatility allows you to extend Omega to meet your needs as they grow."

Email list thread specifically about
"Using Omega and/or Xapian and how to get started"
in a PHP/MySQL environment as you propose
(be sure to follow "Next Message" links for answers)

hth,

jj