[thelist] Anyone have experience with JBoss Portal? (Client side POV especially)

Brent Eades beades at almonte.com
Fri May 19 10:04:49 CDT 2006

Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

> Having just gone over the docs for JBoss Portal[1] and played around with
> it, I'm fairly annoyed from a client side perspective. Layout is abstracted
> to the moon, meaning in order to control layout you deal with tag libraries
> and xml docs, and yes, java classes. Getting at the actual HTML for portlets
> and windows and the like is nigh impossible, seemingly.

Actually, in my limited tinkering with JBoss, I've found it fairly
straightfoward to revise layout and presentation. Not *simple* -- this
is a fairly sophisticated portal, after all -- but logical and
manageable. Have you read the docs chapter on "Themes and Layouts"?

http://docs.jboss.com/jbportal/v2.2/reference-guide/en/html/themeandlayouts.html

P.S. And you really shouldn't have to be messing about with class files,
not unless you're implementing *major* changes to the functionality of
the portal as a whole.

--
Brent Eades
Almonte, Ontario