[thelist] Is there any good HTML eady word processor?

Jose Hurtado jlhurtado at gmail.com
Thu May 25 22:49:23 CDT 2006

Friends from the list,

As probably all of you know, on ocasssion we like to use a regular word
processor and type away. Unfortunately after typing and probably printing
our creation, we usually intend to post that document in the web.

This is where the nightmare starts... especially if you have ever had the
misfortune of looking at MS Word's HTML format, which is really, really
convoluted, ugly and a big mess.  So I usually write clean HTML first or
even just plain text in textpad or BBEdit.  But this is not ideal either, I
have to create two documents, one for print, another for web, and no good
word processor seems to exist.

I have tried AbiWord, an old version of Open Office, In Design and many
more... so far NOTHING creates clean HTML or XHTML, and is at the same time
a reasonably decent wordprocessor, for some reason I just can not
understand, they all produce either awful, or mostly unusable HTML, and yes
Word is the worst offender I have seen so far.  Dreamweaver has an option to
clean it, but it's far from perfect... so back to writing clean text or
straight HTML again.

So is there a good word processor for the web?  Not a web-designer's editor,
but a word processor that can actually write clean, readable, HMTL or
XHTML?  Any suggestions will be most welcome!

Best Regards,

Jose L. Hurtado
Web Designer / IT Professional
Toronto, Canada