[thelist] Is there any good HTML eady word processor?

Max Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Sun May 28 13:28:01 CDT 2006

> Jose Hurtado wrote:
> > So is there a good word processor for the web?  Not a
> web-designer's editor,
> > but a word processor that can actually write clean,
> readable, HMTL or
> > XHTML?  Any suggestions will be most welcome!

> From: Olivier percebois-Garve
> IMHO it cannot be done without sacrificing a lot of control
> on the layout,
> because paper layout and web layout have so different constraints.
>  ... As far as I remember
> xinha and fck editor both claim to produce xthml code know.
> Look around openoffice also there is some xthml convertors under fast
> development.

Open Office is probably the best option if you want to pursue this, but
out-of-the-box it produces HTML that is better than Word's, but still fairly
hideous.  Another, possibly better, option among the wysiwyg web widgets is
Xstandard[0], though it's not free.

One option that I often use is to use Textile[1].  I use TextPad (Windows
only, AFAIK) for the spellcheck, and use the basic Textile codes for bold
(<strong>), italic (<em>), lists, etc.  Textile code is kindofa
microlanguage, but all the basic stuff can be mastered in about 5 minutes.
Basecamp uses Textile to format the messages.

[0] http://xstandard.com/
[1] http://textism.com/tools/textile/

--
Max Schwanekamp