[thelist] using mod_rewrite

Rob Smith rob.smith at lexjet.com
Thu Jun 1 07:18:23 CDT 2006

> I think I have an application for it now.

Another application I had about 2 years ago was about having about
10,000+ vendors with their own business selling page. Putting
http://www.texasmarketdays.com/business_portal.php?vendor_id=3356 wasn't
the prettiest on a business card. So, instead I allowed
http://www.texasmarketdays.com/Bob's Bikes, in which the .htaccess file
captured the stuff after the .com/ and ran it across possible matches
for the business name in the database, then in the background,
redirected that traffic to the business' home page. They could put
...Bob's Bikes and have it fit on the business card.

Ultimately the business failed, due to lack of sales support, and valid
exposure. This feature, along with that custom built site was the most
technologically advanced website of all the vendor's websites in Texas.

Putting the dusty trophy back on the shelf,

Rob Smith
LexJet
rob.smith at lexjet.com
http://www.lexjet.com