[thelist] moving MySQL db to new server breaks querystringcontents?

Eike Pierstorff eikes.lists at dynamique.de
Fri Jun 2 11:53:56 CDT 2006

Canfield, Joel schrieb:
>>>  page.php?sort=city
>>>
>>> $sort is empty.
>>  >
>>> or is there some other obvious cause?
>> register_globals ? (Since you talk about $sort and not $_GET["sort"])
>
> over my head; are you saying perhaps I should assign the value of $sort
> thus:
>
>     $sort = $_GET["sort"]

More or less (you would to some sort of security check before the
assignement). Register Globals is a php.ini setting which might be
switched to "on"  on one machine and to "off" on the other. If switched
to "on" you can address request variables by their names, if not it's
$_GET[varname], $_POST[varname], $_REQUEST[varname] etc.

By default register_globals is switched to "off" since it's considered a
security threat. So this might indeed be your problem (plus it's the
most obvious cause I could think of).

http://de2.php.net/manual/en/security.globals.php

-- eike