[thelist] PHP server on FreeBSD

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Wed Jun 7 08:39:09 CDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 08:06 -0400, John DeStefano wrote:
> Just to update anyone interested (especially anyone running FreeBSD),
> and to bring this saga to a close: the PHP5 port in FBSD 6.1 is broken
> and no longer activates the php/apache module. There are also problems
> currently with the FBSD port of Apache 2.2.
>
> After deinstalling apache22, reinstalling apache13, de/reinstalling
> PHP5, and adding the
> "old" manual updates to httpd.conf, my server is back up and running,
> and PHP files are being served properly. A fitting conclusion to 1.5
> days of self-induced stress... that's what I get for trying to
> upgrade.

That's interesting, especially after reading this last night from Denis
de Bernardy:
<http://www.semiologic.com/2006/06/04/php4-php5-and-php6-thoughts-and-stats/>

In the same boat myself, really like some things about php5 and
converted a couple apps locally for it, but even after 3 years and php6
being worked on now... until there is a "whole hog" switch by the larger
hosting companies I'm sticking with php4 for virtual clients and php5
upgrades only for those on dedicated servers, and only if they ask for
it.

Apache may get upgraded sooner to 2.0, enough people know about the xbit
hack and how SSI has changed etc., but Apache 2.2 add-in modules are not
compatible with Apache 2.0 or 1.3 modules, same problems as the php4 to
php5 - too many things breaking for a gradual switch, it's got to be all
or nothing it seems.

--
cheers,

        Mark