[thelist] Safari problem with border

ben morrison morrison.ben at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 11:26:15 CDT 2006

On 6/8/06, Dallas Cahker <christmasfruitcake at gmail.com> wrote:

> Finishing up a template for a client, and I am new to tableless design.
> There is a small problem with Safari rendering a grey line.  This problems
> doesnt exist in FF or other browsers.  Where the issue is here.
> http://www.modulestreams.com/index2.html

There will also be problems when you resize the text.

You have the news column in ems but you have not given the content column a
width.

Personally i would give news and content a width in px (as this is a fixed
width site)

float the content left as well.

for the footer you could use margin-left: (width of news column);

remove the border of news and blah.

Create an image that will act as border - technique is called faux
columns[0] and use a background image for the container.

#news {
width:200px;
float:left;

#content {
width:550px;
float:left;
}
#footer {
clear:left;
margin-left:220px;
}
#container {
width:750px;
float:left;
background:url(images/greyborder.gif) 0 0 repeat-y;
}

so grey border could be a gif with 200px of white then 1px of your border
colour.

ben
[0] http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fauxcolumns/