[thelist] mouse goes nuts...

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 08:58:07 CDT 2006

On 6/10/06, Jono <jono at charlestonwebsolutions.com> wrote:

> I think there may be more to it than Windows.  I encountered the very same
> problem a while back on an article on mezzoblue, here:
> http://tinyurl.com/zdgkr
>
> See the last two comments on the page above.  I posted a link to a
> QuickTime
> movie showing the blinking cursor.  It still happens for me in Firefox
> v1.5.0.4  but only on that page.  I have not found another page that
> causes
> the crazy mouse?  If I hover over the very bottom of any of the links in
> the
> body, I see the crazy mouse.  A closer look at the page's CSS might reveal
> something, but it's way deep on a list of To-Dos.
>
> Anyhow check out the page and QT movie if you want.

I see it as well on the last two links at the very bottom of the Mezzoblue
page. It happens when you just touch the very bottom of the link (barely
touch it). I think the problem may be with the underline on the link. As a
straight link, it is underlined, however, in a:hover, the underline is
removed. This may change the size of the target for the link. So what
happens is that the a:hover target for the cursor is actually smaller, thus
causing the crazy mouse effect since you mouse is no longer in the target
zone to activate the a:hover affect and it moves back to the regular link,
which makes it slightly bigger, thus activating the a:hover again and so on.

That is just my initial guess.

Chris

--
www.fuzzylizard.com

You know you've achieved perfection in design, Not when you have nothing
more to add, But when you have nothing more to take away.
— Antoine de Saint-Exupery