[thelist] Website Width i.e. 760px vs 960px

Justin Zachan justin at jazzmanagement.com.au
Tue Jun 13 01:55:48 CDT 2006

 >> where does the arbitary 960 come from

960px came about from a need to have a wider site than 760px. And 200px was
what we needed and generally works well for some of our sites. We have not
had the need to build anywhere near to 1024. So we have built sites with a
760px main area and the extra 200px is used for additional web uses.

>> why not make it fluid?

I am aware of the fixed vs fluid debates and I just prefer "fixed" which
suits what we do. Just a different apporach. If a client wanted a fluid
design or there was a need for it then I would happily do it that way.

Cheers

Justin