[thelist] web 2.0 app for note organization

Max Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Tue Jun 13 12:01:48 CDT 2006

> From: jason.handby
> > I'm an obsessive note taker... Does anyone know of any freeware or
> > web 2.0 thingies that specialize in this sort of thing? Tried
> > Google notebook, but it seems geared more towards building a
> > web scrap-book. Thanks so much.
> Probably not what you're looking for, for several reasons
> (e.g. it's not
> free), but Microsoft OneNote has changed my life in exactly
> the way you
> describe.

As I have many pages of handwritten scribbled phone notes on my desk, this
topic got my interest, Google and 43Folders.com gave me a good suggestion to
compete with OneNote: EverNote[0].  There's a free version and a shareware
"plus" version ($39 IIRC) that has handwriting recognition and search like
OneNote.  It's a desktop app, but it's very web 2.0-ish in feel.  Also they
put out a plugin to make it play nicely with Firefox & Thunderbird.  Windows
only though.

Another free option that hasn't been mentioned directly is to just use a
Wiki -- that's what JotIt is, anyway, right?  MediaWiki[1] is good free
option.  You could install it locally (running a local instance of Apache &
PHP) and mirror it to the web, or just make it web-based.

[0] http://www.evernote.com/
[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/

--
Max Schwanekamp