[thelist] PHP send email with images *embedded*

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Jun 14 09:38:29 CDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 05:33:17PM -0400, Jonathan Issler wrote:
> I was just reading through your posts about trying to embed images and
> was wondering what you did to solve the problem. I am having the same
> problem and have the file attached "inline" but have thus far not been
> able to access it. Any help you could provide would be greatly
> appreciated.

If you must send html email with embedded images you have to link
them externally.  The concept of a "local attachment folder" is
completely client specific.  I don't have a folder where attachments
are placed.

Even still, many email clients will block those externally linked
images for the obvious security reasons.

The best you can do is a multi-part message and place the images in
the order you want them in the text.  Then hope for the best.

I'm not clear if each html mime part needs to be valid html within
each mime part, but again, I suppose that's up to the mail client.

Might consider sending text alternatives to the html, too.  html only
messages rarely make it past my spam/lame sender filters.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org